Frequently Asked Questions


Where can I find the application?

Download your application here and your reference form here.


How much is the award?

$1,500.00. The cash award can be used to offset any costs associated with your efforts to attain higher education or training including tuition, books, childcare and transportation.


How many recipients will receive the award? 

One recipient per year will receive the award.


Who will have access to my application information?

Only the board members of Girlfriends Care will have access to your application. Your information will be kept confidential.


Who is eligible to apply?
  • You are a woman who has overcome challenges such as poverty, violence, abuse or neglect.
  • You have financial need.
  • You are enrolled in or have been accepted to a vocational/skills training program or an undergraduate or associate degree program.
  • You are motivated to achieve your education and career goals.
  • You reside within San Diego County and are a United States citizen. (a social security number is required; however, you will not be asked to share this information unless you have been given an award.)
  • You do not have an advanced degree (Masters, Doctorate).
  • You are not a Girlfriends Care member or employee and not an immediate family of either.
How many references do I need?

You will need two different people – who are not related to you – to fill out the reference forms you received with this application.  It is recommended that you request references from people who know you from an educational, work or organizational setting.  Please email the N-S-F Reference form to your references and request they email the forms back to you when completed. Only two references will be accepted.  Please use the form and do not submit reference letters.


How do I submit my application?

Attach your application and two reference forms to an email and send to   Incomplete applications or applications received without reference forms will not be considered.